Thursday, March 24, 2005

Little Horror

Wisconsin state officials insist that a halfway house (type thing) for sex offenders has to be built somewhere in Milwaukee county, but every time they decide on an area the residents rally in protest. These protesters say heinous things. They say the offenders are monsters, and they need to go to jail for the rest of their lives. The men sound like snotty third grade tattle-tales, but with gruff Cheesehead voices. The women have all sworn to protect their children, so how can they allow this home to be built?

If I wanted to ruin my life, if I wanted to lose every shred of my sense of self, I would be a sex offender. In my experience working at Indian Oaks Academy, I began to see that these kids could never, ever be normal again. The institution ensures that they think of themselves as freaks whose every instinct has to be second-guessed. If their life was my life, I would be utterly hopeless.

But having that sympathy for a sex offender will do little to placate the neighbors where this home will eventually be built. I have no kids, so I can't imagine what their fears are like. It doesn't make sense for me to say that what these people should do once the criminals move in is bake them a damn pie and bring over the whole family for some card games. I would want them to feel normal.

(It's sort of a facticity thing, right? Like, if you kill someone how long are you a murderer for? What are you besides a murderer? Can you ever stop being a murderer?)

Pegi Taylor has a much more sane approach to the issue than I do, and a pithier response. She did some good research. She found a study that shows that something like 95 per cent of people who are offended knew the person who hurt them. She says that the house should go about two blocks from her house. I think that makes sense. I'd like to see them build it in my neighborhood; considering I don't know any of the residents, I'll sleep safe and sound.

0 comments:

 
 
Copyright © Tarantular
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes