Saturday, September 03, 2005

George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People

The only real reason I watched the NBC concert for hurricane relief last night was for Harry Connick Jr. A New Orleans native, Connick has been helping NBC out by touring the city and providing a raw, real and heartfelt commentary on the catastrophe. The relief concert included a number of stars who appeared on stage in pairs reading scripted comments and information about the hurricane. Mike Myers and Kanye West appeared together. While Myers read his script, West followed up with an angry rant about how the media has been covering the hurricane catastrophe. "I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family it says they're looting. You see a white family is says they are looking for food."

West went on to address his own feelings about the racism. "It's been five days because most of the people are Black; and even for me to complain about it, I would be a hypocrite because I tried to turn away from the TV because it's to hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation. So now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what's the biggest amount I can give; and to just imagine if I was down there and those are my people down there."

Mike Myers looked a little bewildered as West continued his unscripted comment. "To anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help with the set-up that America's set up to help the poor, the Black people, the less well off - slow as possible. The Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realized how a lot of the people who could help are at war right now fighting another war. They've given them [The U.S. Army] permission to go down [to New Orleans] and shoot us."

Here's a partial video clip that catches the "Bush doesn't care about black people" comment.

0 comments:

 
 
Copyright © Tarantular
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes